Sweet Potato Brownie, my favourite!
Sweet Potato and Chocolate?! Really?!
Yes. It’s an unusual combination, but it really does work. Plus they are Gluten Free AND Vegan!! The perfect snack, you just have to stop yourself eating the whole batch!
Two of my favourite ingredients in the world are raw cacao powder and sweet potatoes, so you can imagine my delight when I realised you could combine the two! My other favourite ingredients is avocado, so I’m sure there’ll be a recipe to combine all three! We all rely on our sweet tooth to make us feel better, give us instant energy or just for the sweet taste, yet one sugary snack, leads to ten others and can end up with us piling on the pounds, getting bad skin, mood swings and overall low mood. Fortunately, this snack, is healthy, you get your sweetness, satisfaction and energy all in one go too!
Sweet potato is a rich source of anti-oxidants, help fight against disease and inflammation, as well as nourishing your body with the vitamins and minerals it needs. They owe their beautiful orange colour to the carotenoid beta-carotene. Beta-carotene acts like Miss Pac-Man and gobbles up those free radicals which damages our cells, speeding up the ageing process and makes us vulnerable to disease. I literally am like Miss Pac-Man once these babies have been cooked, they certainly don’t last long in my kitchen.
Their high content of Vitamin A also contributes to having beautiful skin. Skin health is largely related to what we put into our bodies, and the nutrients we absorb. Nobody wants to have spotty skin or be rocking the wrinkles and frown lines earlier than necessary so by adding in foods such as sweet potatoes that have anti-inflammatory properties, will improve the elimination of acne-causing bacteria.
And of course – raw cacao, is also greedy with the antioxidants. It is packed full of them, a bit like Miss Pac-Man on a mission! So you are bound to feel super energised and happy eating these brownies. All the sweet taste, with none of the stress and after-effects of sugar, dairy and wheat! Winner!
2 medium Sweet Potatoes
4 tbsp Raw Cacao Powder
Handful of Crushed Almonds
2/3 cup Ground Almonds
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
Pinch of salt
12 Medjool Dates
1/2 cup Gluten Free Flour of choice
3 Tbsp Maple Syrup (you can use honey if you wish)
- Preheat the oven to 180’c, and line a baking dish with greaseproof paper.
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut them into moderate chunks and steam for 20 minutes, or until they become soft.
- Either mash them, or pull apart with a fork, and add to a food processor with the pitted dates (Ensure they are pitted, or you’ll nearly break a tooth!) Blend this together until smooth and creamy. Avoid tasting it or you may just eat it all there and then!
- Add other ingredients to a bowl and add in the mixture and stir until well combined. It will turm a lovely chocolatey brown colour.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish and cook for twenty minutes. Allow it to cool for ten mnutes or so, this is when the mixture gels together and forms a little taste and texture of heaven!
- Remove the brownies from the tray, cut into squares and then enjoy yourself with this delicious treat!